Friday, June 24, 2016

344. There Goes the Gas out of "Populist"


We all know what a "populist" is, right?  Somebody who engages in revolts against elite establishments.  That's something to respect.

Then comes the morning after British populists have voted to get Britain out of the EU.  The pound is plunging, stock prices around the world are falling, and the world economy faces what a Bloomberg editor I know called "nuclear winter."

And there on the BBC (via Tara John, Time) is a dismayed Brexit voter: “I did not think that was going to happen, I didn’t think my vote was going to matter too much because I thought we were just going to remain."  And on Twitter, many like him: "Lol starting to regret my vote."  "Urm I think I kinda regret my vote, I had no real reason to pick what I did!!."  "I personally voted leave believing these lies and I regret it more than anything, I feel genuinely robbed of my vote."

And there was Stephen Collinson on CNN asking if British voters in revolt could be joined by American voters in revolt, as Donald Trump was asking them to.  Voters identified by the same word, "populist."

It's a day to redefine that word.  Except that the day comes in a year when calling a spade a spade reduces the number of your dinner invitations.  And in a place, a democracy, that must preserve respect for the common man.  So let's just say that "populist" means "a voter insufficiently supplied with clues."



No comments:

Post a Comment