Thursday, October 11, 2012

171. Primitive Emotions

 
  
I know that irresponsible and stupid war lovers, like William Randolph Hearst, do all they can to get the rest of us to join them.  I know they appeal to primitive emotions, like the male desire to protect women and children.  I know all about how Hearst got us to go to war with Spain by playing up the way dirty, mustachioed Spanish men mistreated their sweet, innocent women.  There it is on the front page of the New York Journal, a drawing of them strip-searching poor Clamencia Arango, standing naked before them.

I am professionally against appeals to the primitive emotions.  As an academic I taught appeals to reason.  As an English teacher I taught students to analyze appeals, exposing the irrational ones and developing the rational ones.  My fellow teachers and I scorned all experts in irrational appeal — Hearst, Murdoch, Limbaugh — and competed with each other at lunch for the best example of their sob-sister absurdity and danger.  These heart-wringers were our natural enemies.  Educate readers' hearts to be more careful and we'd drive them out of business.

Now, on the front page of yesterday's New York Times, I see this picture of Malala Yousafzai, a 14-year-old Muslim girl who wanted to go to school in Taliban country.  They boarded her school bus and shot her.  I see big, strong, dirty, bearded men crowding past terrified little children to get to her.  In the six-month-old picture the Times supplied the eyes looking at me from under the headscarf are sweet and gentle.  There is none of the exaggeration of the Journal picture (which in crucial respects was false).  This happened as reported and the Taliban, through a spokesman, verified it and claimed credit.  "Let this be a lesson."

Of course I want to go to war against the Taliban, and what I want done to them in that war is inexpressible in civilized language.  I know there are ironies in this but I don't care.  If there are clever heart-tugs in this Times story too (as analysis would surely show) I don't want to hear about them.  Analyze, schmanalyze.  I want to castrate these bastards.

Both the Journal and the Times rouse me to defend women and children from foreign brutes but there is a difference: the Journal rouses me to a fight we can win. We so far outgun Spain that it will be a romp, a little imperialist romp, a testosterone blowoff.  The Times rouses me to plunge my country into a quagmire.

 So I, the Times-reading professor, am a more dangerous citizen than the Journal-reading lout.  Quagmires are worse than romps.  And my emotion — surely the best, the most humane— has to be suppressed more firmly.  Goodness has nothing to do with danger.

OK, so I'll do my best to suppress this good emotion.  But you know what?  I already know I'm not going to succeed.  One glance at Malala's picture tells me.  Nature, selecting for male protectiveness, is way ahead of me.  And, I see, ahead of me not just on this narrow front, but over the whole field, male aggressiveness.  Testosterone.

This whole thing, going to war, is probably out of my hands.  Professors and louts, both helpless.  Poets too.  Oh poets.  A. E. Housman, living through the height of British imperialism, saw his Shropshire lads marching to one war after another, and grieved over their fate:

East and west on fields forgotten
Bleach the bones of comrades slain,
Lovely lads and dead and rotten,
None that go return again.

Yet he, lying on his "idle hill of summer," knows he can't help joining them:

Far the calling bugles hollo,
High the screaming fife replies,
Gay the files of scarlet follow:
Woman bore me, I will rise.

Opium War, Boer War, World War, First Crusade, Second Crusade...you can't fight testosterone.



3 comments:

  1. This was excellent and moving, thank you.

    Whenever I read poetry or literature dealing with the travails of war I think of General Patton's "Through a Glass, Darkly". It is a reminder that some our species do not find mortal test of arms to be horror filled and tragic, that some of us actually relish it.

    On the off change you have not read the poem, I'll just copy it here.
    ----
    "Through a Glass, Darkly"
    General George S. Patton, Jr.

    Through the travail of the ages,
    Midst the pomp and toil of war,
    I have fought and strove and perished
    Countless times upon this star.

    In the form of many people
    In all panoplies of time
    Have I seen the luring vision
    Of the Victory Maid, sublime.

    I have battled for fresh mammoth,
    I have warred for pastures new,
    I have listed to the whispers
    When the race trek instinct grew.

    I have known the call to battle
    In each changeless changing shape
    From the high souled voice of conscience
    To the beastly lust for rape.

    I have sinned and I have suffered,
    Played the hero and the knave;
    Fought for belly, shame, or country,
    And for each have found a grave.

    I cannot name my battles
    For the visions are not clear,
    Yet, I see the twisted faces
    And I feel the rending spear.

    Perhaps I stabbed our Savior
    In His sacred helpless side.
    Yet, I've called His name in blessing
    When after times I died.

    In the dimness of the shadows
    Where we hairy heathens warred,
    I can taste in thought the lifeblood;
    We used teeth before the sword.

    While in later clearer vision
    I can sense the coppery sweat,
    Feel the pikes grow wet and slippery
    When our Phalanx, Cyrus met.

    Hear the rattle of the harness
    Where the Persian darts bounced clear,
    See their chariots wheel in panic
    From the Hoplite's leveled spear.

    See the goal grow monthly longer,
    Reaching for the walls of Tyre.
    Hear the crash of tons of granite,
    Smell the quenchless eastern fire.

    Still more clearly as a Roman,
    Can I see the Legion close,
    As our third rank moved in forward
    And the short sword found our foes.

    Once again I feel the anguish
    Of that blistering treeless plain
    When the Parthian showered death bolts,
    And our discipline was in vain.

    I remember all the suffering
    Of those arrows in my neck.
    Yet, I stabbed a grinning savage
    As I died upon my back.

    Once again I smell the heat sparks
    When my Flemish plate gave way
    And the lance ripped through my entrails
    As on Crecy's field I lay.

    In the windless, blinding stillness
    Of the glittering tropic sea
    I can see the bubbles rising
    Where we set the captives free.

    Midst the spume of half a tempest
    I have heard the bulwarks go
    When the crashing, point blank round shot
    Sent destruction to our foe.

    I have fought with gun and cutlass
    On the red and slippery deck
    With all Hell aflame within me
    And a rope around my neck.

    And still later as a General
    Have I galloped with Murat
    When we laughed at death and numbers
    Trusting in the Emperor's Star.

    Till at last our star faded,
    And we shouted to our doom
    Where the sunken road of Ohein
    Closed us in it's quivering gloom.

    So but now with Tanks a'clatter
    Have I waddled on the foe
    Belching death at twenty paces,
    By the star shell's ghastly glow.

    So as through a glass, and darkly
    The age long strife I see
    Where I fought in many guises,
    Many names, but always me.

    And I see not in my blindness
    What the objects were I wrought,
    But as God rules o'er our bickerings
    It was through His will I fought.

    So forever in the future,
    Shall I battle as of yore,
    Dying to be born a fighter,
    But to die again, once more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can this be the Patton I read about in Time magazine, taking Palermo and breaking through at St. Lo? Time never mentioned this. But in '43 and '44 I guess there was no reason to. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete