Wednesday, December 30, 2015

322. Poem about a Shit Storm of Emotion


which is what, according to Jenna Laurenzo, you feel when you're just coming out, and JamesMichael Nichols, Deputy Gay Voices Editor of the Huffington Post, says sure "the first time you hook up with someone of the same sex can be daunting" and I say I'll bet, thinking I'm such a long way from my Sunday School and then I watch Jenna's nine-minute movie and wow I'm feeling my own shit storm and maybe believe what Nichols said that it's "the beginning of a whole new way of being in the world" which with me would be a universe but the movie shows what Jenna claimed, the "universality " of some emotions, and I can understand shit storms of emotions a lot better than I can understand new ways of being-in-the-world in an authentic Heideggerian way but jeez did they have to put it that way to a guy used to "gales of passion" with Werther laughing and crying and falling on his knees and bedewing Charlotte's feet with a thousand tears or Grushenka covering her face with her hands, throwing herself onto the sofa, and sobbing like a child in front of Alyosha Karamatsov I mean that's my world and I'm not ready for Ahab going what apeshit when he sights the whale.

But seriously let's try to take Heidegger seriously and take "whole new way of being in the world" to include an expansion of your world like when you hear your father say "I don't want to embarrass Art by asking him; he can't do it and he doesn't want to turn me down" and you suddenly see a world peopled by creatures to whom embarrassing a friend is bad, not just smoking and drinking and swearing, or like when your Sunday School teacher asks if you love your brother why are you talking to him that way and you see creatures who hold themselves to their own premises and you're supposed to be one of them and again suddenly it's a much bigger world so I'm not such a long way from my Sunday School but still a way since expanding pleasures is not the same as expanding good though equally authentic and the question remains authentic what?

Note: The Nichols piece, with the movie, is found at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/girl-night-stand



No comments:

Post a Comment