Sunday, June 28, 2015

300. A Darwinian Explanation of My Discomfort at Seeing Men Kiss Men.


I think the wide email response (Paris, Moscow, Berlin, Washington!) to my last post makes the blog the best place to present these statements:

(1) Since I can't critically think my way out of my discomfort at seeing men kiss each other I take it to come from instinct.

(2) I take the instinct to be one of those deep ones established by the need for survival.  Our species, a social one, is more likely to survive if infertile relationships are discouraged.

(3) The instincts built into us by the need for survival are maintained even after, and maybe long after, survival is assured.

So, my discomfort is a relic, made so by mankind's increasing ability to guarantee survival.  In me (and Mary Anne, and Alex Arhangelskii) I take the relic to be irremovable.

And I think Darwin could explain that.  "Species have a better chance of surviving if, no matter how secure a generation is, a few relics are preserved so that the species will persist through the least secure generations."  



No comments:

Post a Comment