Monday, January 21, 2013

189A. Americans and "Jewish-based Zionism"

 
 
Think of the different kinds of Zionism, or commitments to establish a national home for Jews in Palestine.  What Naftali Bennett, the rising star in Israeli politics, represents is, in his words, "a handover of the baton from security-based Zionism to Jewish-based Zionism," and David Remnick, the writer who quotes him in the latest New Yorker (1-21-13), makes sure we know what that Zionism is: an expansion into Palestinian territory justified by Jewish Scripture.  Bennett is the latest and most threatening (or promising) in the line of spokesmen for the settlers, the fundamentalists who establish enclaves in the West Bank (in Scripture, Judea and Samaria) with a view to recovering all of it.  Over the years, from Tzvi Yehuda Kook, mentor of the first group to put "facts on the ground," to Moshe Feiglin, leader of a presently significant Likud faction, the justification of expansion is exactly Bennett's to Remnick: "The land is ours."  Any less blunt answer would misrepresent Scripture, where God gave the land, the Promised Land, to the Jews.

The evidence Remnick cites, the interviews he conducts, the history he reviews, all make it very hard to come to any other conclusion than that this is where Israel as a state is going.  The religious academies set up by one of Rabbi Kook's disciples for students who would soon enter the army have been so successful that the Army's officer corps is now "immensely" more religious than it was.  Their higher birthrate continues to raise the proportion of religious families in the population.  And, weighing most heavily on the future, many in the moderate middle class seem to have joined the fundamentalists.  "Much of Naftali Bennett's support seems to come from mild-mannered suburbanites on both sides of the Green Line."  No wonder that each day Bennett is "climbing in the polls, skimming off votes from the Likud and Netanyahu."  No wonder Bennett speaks so confidently of a handover

Security-based Zionists avoid saying, "This land is ours."  They say, "This land is needed for our safety."  They won over Americans like me (secular, skeptical) very early, and my own history on their team — a track team, in Bennett's metaphor — is possibly typical.  I picked up their baton right after World War II, as soon as the Holocaust made clear to me that the Jews of Europe needed a place of their own where they could be secure.  My grip on it improved when I read Theodor Herzl, who saw where European anti-Semitism was heading and laid out the rationale for a new, safe Zion.  (He was as secular as you could get.  According to his biographer, he "dismissed all religion.")  The more Jews I saw the firmer my grip got.  In the colleges I went to they led the way in skepticism about religion.   About the kind of religion I was used to, Midwestern evangelism, they were scathing. 

All right, coach, I've got a problem.  And it's killing me.  There are the Israelis, handing over their baton to the fundamentalists.  What now, what, do I do with my baton?  Hand it to our fundamentalists, the evangelicals? (Accept red-state government, red-state foreign policy.) Throw it down?  Quit the team?

Neither of those alternatives is acceptable to me, but what will keeping the baton (that is, continuing to support Israel) mean?  First it will mean running with no ground under me.  I could really dig my cleats in (urge my Congressman to vote aid, back moves in the UN, speak well of Israel in forums) when the base was land where Jews could be safe.  Change that base to land given them by God, a base that I, as an academic, could never recognize, and I have no base at all.  I'll be running on thin air.

Second, it will mean not knowing who I am running for, something I used to know well.  I was running for Jews.  And I thought I knew what the words "Jewish" and "Jew" meant, though I realize now that it was mainly personal experience that provided that meaning.  By my ostensive definition Jews were skeptical thinkers like me, only, most of the time, quicker and more thorough.  They saw through Midwestern fundamentalism long before I did and, I assumed, had penetrated Jewish fundamentalism well before that.

But those intellectual grounds for a definition are too narrow.  There are gut feelings and (here I really have to get personal) mine got my notice when I first stepped inside Israel.  It was in the customs and immigration building, after a stay among Egyptians.  After a few razzy words with the last clerk I stepped out into the neat, green streets lined with finished buildings and my internal voice just burst out: "These are my people."

That, of course, is only an occasion when such feelings get articulated.  I'm sure that I had had them earlier many times — getting back to my most congenial colleagues, hearing the kind of jokes my funniest uncles told, discovering that my mother, though Scottish, was a thoroughly Jewish mother.  This may not have established much, but it established at least one, though negative, thing: that "a Jew" is not defined as one who to whom God gave Judea and Samaria.

But that, apparently, is the way it's going to be defined in Israel, with too many consequences for me to sort out.  I can, however, make a start with a small one, a linguistic one.  The expression "Jewish lobby."  Use it now and you will properly be rebuked by any number of organizations (as Chuck Hagel, Obama's nominee for Secretary of Defense, recently found out).  You are guilty of inaccuracy (there is no such thing) and prejudice (suggesting the kind of conspiracy anti-Semites have suggested for years).  It's an Israel lobby.

But with Bennett they're the same.  If I say "Jewish lobby" after "Jewish" has taken the victorious fundamentalist's meaning ("believer in the Scriptural gift") there's no way I can be rebuked.  There is a Jewish lobby.  "Jewish" and "Israeli" mean the same thing.





No comments:

Post a Comment